Preparing for Your Vasectomy
You will have a consultation prior to your vasectomy. We typically have a consult by telephone prior to the vasectomy so it is not necessary to attend the clinic beforehand. The purpose of the consult is to answer any questions you have after reading the information provided on this site.
Once your procedure date is scheduled it is important that you follow the instructions below and read everything on the website about the procedure and risks. Please also review the After Vasectomy information so you know what to expect after the procedure.
Instructions Before Your Vasectomy
Please read and follow the below carefully, it makes the whole process easier for you.
- Firstly, read all the information on this site about the; procedure, risks and semen analysis, not just the pre-op instructions. It is important to read this before the consult, the consult is your opportunity to ask questions.
- Complete the registration form that was linked on the confirmation email you received when booking the appointment (Check your junk mail if it’s not in your inbox). If you didn’t receive an email let us know.
- Shave or trim all around the penis – approx. 1 inch above it, the sides of it, underneath it and straight down the front wall of the scrotum, ideally about 4/5 days before your vasectomy. We use alcohol to clean the area so if it’s a fresh shave this may cause skin irritation, so it’s better if you do it a few days in advance. You can use a trimmer above and at the sides of the penis but use a razor on the scrotum as the trimmer will catch and cut the scrotal skin. Be careful if using hair removal cream, I’ve seen variable results with this from good to painful. This does not have to be perfect so don’t get worried about it.
- Shower on the day of the procedure.
- Do not use any powder, creams or deodorant in the genital area on the day of the vasectomy.
- You must wear tight fitting/supportive underwear, do not wear loose underwear.
- You do not need to fast. It is important to have a normal breakfast or lunch before arriving your vasectomy.
- Do not take aspirin medications such as soluble disprin (Brands like Alka seltzer/Aspirin) or fish oils for five days before the procedure. These will make you bleed or bruise easier.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatories such as nurofen/ibuprofen or difene for 72 hours beforehand as these will also make you bleed/bruise easier. You may use them afterwards though. You may use paracetamol or solpadeine beforehand if required for other reasons.
- No need to arrive very early, a few minutes beforehand is fine.
- If you are driving yourself do not drive for 30 minutes after and have something to eat and drink. The ideal scenario is that someone drives you for insurance reasons, however most men seem to drive themselves.
- This one will sound strange, if you need to go to the loo please do so when you arrive or are waiting, don’t wait until we’re ready to start the procedure!