Preparing for Your Vasectomy
You will have a consultation with our doctors prior to your surgery. You have the option of planning separate consultation and surgery appointments, or you may choose to have both the consultation and procedure in a single visit to our clinic. This is the most common choice.
Once your procedure date is scheduled it is important that you follow the instructions below. Please also review the After Vasectomy information so you know what to expect after the procedure.
Instructions Before Your Vasectomy
- Shave all around the penis, underneath it and straight down the front wall of the scrotum, ideally about 4/5 days before your vasectomy. We use alcohol to clean the area so if it’s a fresh shave this may cause skin irritation, so it’s better if you do it a few days in advance. Use a razor rather than a hair trimmer as the trimmer will catch and tear the skin and don’t use hair removal cream.
- Do not use any powder or deoderant in the genital area on the day of the vasectomy.
- Their is no need to fast. It is important to have a normal breakfast or lunch before arriving your vasectomy.
- Do not take aspirin medications, soluble disprin or fish oils for five days before the procedure. These will make you bleed or bruise easier.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatories such as nurofen or difene for 72 hours beforehand as these will also make you bleed/bruise easier. You may use them afterwards though.
- Wear tight fitting/supportive underwear, do not wear loose underwear.