After the Procedure
- Wear supportive underwear for the first 4-5 days after the vasectomy
- Ice-packs are not necessary
- Normally no follow-up is required but you will have Dr. Mc Cormick’s mobile number should you have any concerns
- It is important to note that other forms of birth control are then required until a semen sample has been proven to be sperm free. One sample is required at approximately 14 weeks. For further information about semen analysis please click here
- You may return to work the day after the procedure, however if it is a physically strenuous job. for example landscaping, heavy lifting, etc. we recommend you take 2 – 3 days off
- Sports may be resumed after approximately 1 week
- Sexually activity may be resumed after 2-3 days. Some blood may be noticed in your ejaculate initially but this resolves quickly and is nothing to be concerned about
It is not necessary to attend for a consultation before the vasectomy procedure. We can discuss the procedure and what is involved on the same day you wish to have the vasectomy performed. We do not require a deposit in advance of the procedure.
It is not necessary for your partner/spouse to attend the appointment with you. The decision to have a vasectomy is generally a joint one by most couples however the ultimate decision rests with the man and it is only with his fully informed consent that we will agree to do a vasectomy.
All vasectomies here are performed by Dr. Mc Cormick. If you need any follow-up, you will see him directly. You will be given a number that you can contact us on at any stage should you have any concerns in the first few days after the procedure.
The total inclusive cost of the procedure is €450, this includes the vasectomy procedure and the post-op semen analsysis.
Instructions following your Vasectomy
- Spend a quiet evening at home relaxing, with as little activity as possible.
- You may take paracetamol and/or ibuprofen. Most patients say 1 or 2 doses of nurofen (ibuprofen) are sufficient. Do not take aspirin or dispirin as these will make you bleed or bruise.
- On the day after the vasectomy – no sports, swimming, heavy lifting or strenuous activity. You may walk as much as you like.
- You may take a shower the morning after the vasectomy.
- Wear supportive underwear for the first week and during sports or very physical work for the first few weeks.
- You may return to work (if it is light activities) the day after your vasectomy, some people return to office work the day of the vasectomy. 2-3 days after the procedure you may return to physical work.
- It is normal to have discolouration/bruising of the skin around the vasectomy site. Ignore it, it will go away.
- You may have intercourse two days after the procedure. Occasionally blood may be present in your semen for the first few ejaculations, this is nothing to worry about.
- Use other forms of contraception until you are told that your semen is sperm-free and your vasectomy is effective.
- Approximately 1 in 20 men will develop swelling and discomfort on one or both sides, starting from 3 days to 3 months following a vasectomy. This is normally an exaggerated form of the normal inflammatory response necessary for sperm absorption and recycling. It is best managed with a 5-7 day course of ibuprofen 400mg 3 time per day.
- No follow-up is normally necessary, but if necessary please call me. You will be given my mobile number prior to leaving the clinic.